NOTE: This has been tested with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but it should work with other versions of Windows.
We all know that games based on films are generally awful. But Disney have actually released some classic games over the years, such as Hercules, Aladdin, and The Lion King.
Simba's Pride GameBreak is a little-known addition to this list of gems. Believe it or not, I first discovered it when the "Cub Chase" minigame was distributed inside cereal boxes - a sales technique that clearly worked, as I ended up buying the whole cereal range to collect all the CDs!
Sadly, though, Simba's Pride's GameBreak doesn't work on modern version of Windows. At least, not without a little tinkering. Trying to install it using the CD results in the message "Simba's Pride GameBreak requires the Windows 95 operating system. Click 'OK' to exit the installation process."
Create a folder on your hard drive where the game will be installed. This guide assumes the game will be installed to "C:\GameBreak".
Copy the files (the files themselves, not the whole folder) from the "WIN95" folder on the CD to the folder you just created. You should have the following files:
Edit this file and change all references to "C:\\GameBreak" to the folder where you installed the game, using double slashes to separate folders (e.g. "C:\\Games\\GameBreak" if you installed to "C:\Games\GameBreak").
Also change all references to "E:" to the letter matching your CD drive (e.g. "D:" or "G:").
Double-click on the registry file to add the information to the registry.
Depending on the region of your game, your executable may have a different name, e.g. "SPAG.exe" instead of "SPAGUK.exe". The registry file will need to be changed to reflect this.
If the game still doesn't work, try running the executable from the CD itself, in the "Win95" folder.
Thanks to McGloomy for this information!
First, I installed the game on a Windows 98 emulator. I saved a copy of the registry before and after, and used a program to identity the differences between the 2 files, thus showing me all the registry changes the installation had made. I made these into a ".reg" file like you one you just downloaded, and used that to install the same registry entries on my own machine.
However, when the game still complained that "The requested registry key is invalid. The game may not be installed properly.", I concluded that these registry values weren't being read. It was then that I discovered the Wow6432Node in the registry, where 32-bit games expect their registry settings to be on 64-bit Windows. I made a few tweaks to put them there instead, and bingo! It worked.
Possibly this same technique could be applied to other old games.
Please if it works for you!